To provide financial management services in an efficient and effective manner with the view of enhancing accountability and transparency in the utilisation of public resources.
The finance directorate also comproises of an Audit division.
Game Changers activities;
- Monitoring, coaching and mentoring local authorities salary payment and payroll managements and other payments;
- Facilitate automation of revenue management in councils, in collaboration with National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC); and
- Conduct monthly record checks at the Ministry headquarters and facilitate the same at the councils.
Planned Activities for 2020/2021 Financial Year
- Processing of payments and maintenance of financial records.
- Production of monthly expenditure returns (for ORT, development part II, personal emoluments and reconciliation reports) to the Treasury and Accountant General by 14th of every month.
- Production and submission of annual financial statements for 2017/2018 financial year.
- Attending heads of accounts meetings and Institute of Chartered Accountants in Malawi (ICAM) Conference.
- Attending Eastern and Southern Africa Accountant Generals’ (ESSAG) Conference.
- Training of accounts officers in IFMIS.
- Archiving of old financial records.
Achievements Registered to date (July to January, 2020)
- Processed payments for the funding received on time and related financial records were properly maintained.
- Produced and submitted monthly expenditure returns (expenditure reports for ORT, development part II, personal emoluments and bank reconciliation reports) to Secretary to the Treasury and the Accountant General’s Department on time.
- Annual financial statements for 2018/2019 financial year were prepared and submitted to National Audit Office in good time.
- Two officers attended training on reconciliation of ORT and development part II accounts.
Key Challenges Affecting Financial Management
- Inadequate ICT equipment for finance personnel which results in delayed payments processing.
- Poor IFMIS performance due to outdated Local Area Network and needs to be upgraded.
- Inadequate and untimely funding which has negatively affected implementation of activities and procurements of some requirements for the directorate.